Monday, August 4, 2008

We're Officially Old Farts!

Monday, Monday.... it's always hard to come back to work after a nice weekend and this past weekend was quite nice indeed. Matthew, Ally and I relaxed on Friday afternoon and evening and had a quiet dinner at home. Ally and I went shopping with Grandma Dee on Saturday morning since it was tax free weekend here in Virginia. It was a successful trip as we all found some fun things.

Granddad and Grandma came over to babysit Ally on Saturday afternoon since Matthew and I were going to the wedding our our friends Chris and Linette. Chris and Matthew were deployed together for 4 months and were roommates on the ship so they got to be pretty good friends and his beautiful wife Linette was a good email buddy of mine during their absence. Matthew was a part of the sword arch after the ceremony- it's an awesome Navy tradition- the bride and groom walk through the arch and as they pass through each pair of swords is lowered to block their way and they have to kiss to pass through. Upon exiting the arch, the bride is smacked on the
backside with a sword and gets a "Welcome to the Navy Mrs. (Insert Groom's last name here)!" It's pretty cute and is always a huge crowd pleaser. Matthew is the one at the end of the arch with his back to the camera.

The reception was held at a neat place right on the water so we enjoyed some lovely vistas with our dinner. We danced a little bit and called it an early night. Even with babysitters that we trust implicitly with our daughter we were still home before 10pm. We're so old and pathetic these days!

Sunday morning was filled with the usual routine: church then brunch with friends Bonnie and Dean. We frequent this little place called Omar's Carriage House that used to be an actual carriage house. It's small and quaint and they have good food but they have a really screwed up menu. Every time we go, someone tries to order the Shrimp & Grits meal and every time the waiter tells us that they're out of it. The restaurant doesn't open until 11am on Sunday and we're usually there by 11:15! How are they going to run out of something already?
Anyway, I digress....

One really cool think about living in Norfolk is Mermaids. There are mermaids designed by local artists scattered throughout the city. They are painted and accessorized to go along with the theme of their location. For example, one mermaid by the hospital is dressed in a scrub top and has a stethoscope dangling from her neck and the one by the Amphibious Naval base is dressed in a sailor outfit. This weekend we found the Chinese mermaid- who knew there was such a creature! She is located right next to a huge waterfront restaurant that looks like some sort of Buddhist palace or temple. I thought she made a perfect Norfolk photo opp! I can't take the credit for discovering her though- Bonnie led us to her.

For those of you wondering, I still have not made a decision regarding my employment status. I'd still love to be a SAHM and have not yet ruled out the possibility. I have however decided that IF I go back to work, I will be reducing my hours, going in later, and taking Fridays off so I'll have more time at home with my precious peanut. I think I hold the upper hand in the negotiation process at this point. If they won't agree to my new schedule I can always turn in my notice and quit! I'll keep you all posted whenever I do finally make this decision.

Finally, Ally hit a major milestone this past weekend... she rolled over from her back to her tummy... five times! Of course I was unable to catch any of it on video but I do have roughly 18 minutes of footage of her squirming around and grunting if any of you are interested! :-) I vow to keep trying though so look for a new video soon!





Posted by Picasa

No comments: